Sunday, June 23, 2013

WORKING ON WALT'S BEAUTIFUL 51 HUDSON HORNET





 
My fellow HET member and friend, Walt, had his 51 Hudson Hornet meticulously restored. All of his upholstery is redone from original material, and the instrument panel and dash board have also been redone.

I replaced the 308 CID engine and changed the differential.  Walt's engine was cracked, so I used the engine out of my 54 parts car. 

Walt really enjoys his Hornet and it's a daily driver.

51-54 Hornet 2-door sedan dominated NASCAR.  Unlike Oldsmobile, the Hornets could be run wide open.  Oldsmobile had a higher center of gravity, so they were forced to slow down on the turns.

FYI, in an older post dated 4/19/11 on this blog, I compared some features of Studebaker with Hudson and mention some innovations of these two car makers. 

Also, Jay Leno is offering to put your story of your first vehicle on his website if he likes it.  I have a link to Jay Leno's Garage on the right side. At Leno's site click on the link showing the 55 Buick Road Master and he will explain what he wants you to do.

Will